Stability Balls Grand Forks ND
Grand Forks, ND
West Fargo, ND
Grand Forks, ND
Stability balls, balance balls, yoga balls, Swiss balls you've probably heard these big rubber balls called various different things, but the only thing you need to know is that they all refer to the same type of ball. I prefer the term stability ball and since this is my site that's what we'll call them for now so ha!
Stability balls are one of the most versatile exercise tools available. For only $15 online, they can be used to sit upon in order to improve balance and posture, they can be used to perform crunches on in order to strengthen the abdominals muscles, and they can be used to give new angles to your push-up routine in order to make it more difficult. Since I'm such a big fan of squats, let's use them as an example.
A stability ball can be used to perform squats in one of two ways. The first way is to perform wall squats. Wall squats should be the first type of squat you attempt.
Use a stability ball for support like this:
- Just place the stability ball against the wall
- Lean the small of your back against the ball (Figure 01).
- Roll slowly, while leaning against the ball for stability as you're performing squats
The second way to use the ball is to perform body squats:
- Hold the stability ball at arms length away from your body
- The ball should be held at about chest level (Figure 03).
- Keeping your feet a little wider than shoulder-width apart, descend towards the floor in the squat position
- Continue to hold the ball out in front of you for balance (Figure 03).
The principle behind the stability ball is its ability to improve your body's core strength. A body with good core control means that a person can control the stabilizing muscles the hip flexors, back extensors and hamstrings surrounding their center of gravity. For men, their center of gravity is located at the navel; while for women it's just below the navel.